Wednesday, October 20, 2010

911 Shelter

As a freshman, I've found myself frequently exploring the library and all of its secret places.  One of the first things I notice every time I enter, is that there are always people sleeping on the couches and chairs, no matter which way you turn.  I'm not talking about just sitting back with eyes closed.  I mean legit, sound asleep, sprawled out, sleeping.  This makes me wonder whether these people don't get enough sleep, or the couches are just that great.  Or perhaps the library is a place of refuge, or a place to renew strength before another class.  Maybe it is the only place in their life that is 100% quiet once you enter, problems are left outside the door.  Then I remembered Psalm 91:1.  "He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High will rest in the shadow of the Almighty."  

As I enter this new stage of my life, I find myself constantly having to remind myself of this verse. Running from class to class, and event to event, my life seems to become very loud and chaotic. Just like the library, I need a place to run too that will offer me peace and rest.  The answer?  I have to dwell in the shelter of my heavenly father.  The definition of a shelter is a structure that provides privacy and protection from danger.  A "shelter" that provides safety and peace, like a library.  We turn to our shelter in our emergencies and problems.  Ironically this verse is 91:1 or "911."  How many times do you feel like you need to call 911 on your life?  What problems or things are you holding on to that are making your life loud?  My challenge to myself and everyone this week is to seek your shelter.  God is waiting for us with open arms to come running to Him and find rest.

4 comments:

  1. Awesome entry Reagan! I love your insight. What a wonderful heart you have and I know that your relationship with God is going to provide you wonderful shelter and strength in your days at OU...and beyond! You are a wonderful young lady. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What beautiful insights you have Reagan. You make me think of our mother, your GaGa. She knew the Bible so well and quoted it for us in all times. I find myself now, as in the past when I was rearing my children, calling on the same verses that she gave to us in her infinite wisdom and love. One of the ones I have used alot is "Be not afraid for I am with thee always, even unto the end of the world." I look foward to following your exciting venture into your new world. Your writing is eloquent.
    Aunt Abbie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this Reag. You are so amazing, and I'm so glad we are friends. You have an incredible take on the world around us, and I love hearing about it.
    Love you girl!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Reagan, You are amazing! Praying for you sweet one! Hope you are doing well and loving life at OU! I look forward to following your blog - this is beautiful!
    XOXOXO from the Colorado Silva's!

    ReplyDelete